Blog Archive

Thursday 25 April 2024

Revenge Friday- Notting Hill, Language Learning and life

 Hello darlings x

I hope you have had a great revenge Friday. This week I went to portobello road which was really fun. Then I thought I would show you my language revision notebook- this is of interest to absolutely no one lol.

Revenge Day

My sister was back in London for the week and we went to Portobello Road and Notting Hill. We left the house quite early because we wanted to go to the vintage clothes Friday market , the one at the bottom of Portobello Road, under the westway. OMG the prices... prices ranged from about £100-200. I couldn't believe it. There would be a moth eaten nightie and it would be priced at £90+- I am NOT exaggerating. What's happened?

I will say if you head towards Golborne Road it is a bit cheaper but the rain was soo bad that we wanted to stay undercover.

We then went to a really nice Vegetarian café, its called Portobello Health Foods and I have been going there for years. We then went to a few boutiques on Portobello Road. There is so much tat.

After we just walked to High Street Ken and went to TKmaxx and Wholefoods.

Let me know if you have any boutiques or restaurant/bar recommendations in Notting Hill and Portobello. I need to discover some different places in Portobello. I have heard a lot about Farm Girl. I had a really fun day out. I didn't buy anything other than some snacks from Wholefoods.

Language Revision Notebook

I have been trying to learn French for several months (I have stopped and started a number of times in the past decade) and I really feel it paying off. I went to France recently and I could tell that in a matter of a few months my French and my confidence has increased- which is fab.

I thought I would show you some pages in my language learning notebook and some things I do to learn a language. But yeah any of your tips and advice is welcomed. 

So the three ways I am learning are
  1. Duolingo- my everyday practice and it helps me to actively keep learning
  2. A text book which I don’t do everyday but is more sort of active revising, more in-depth grammar rules and learning vocabulary of a particular category (e.g. days of the week, months, numbers). The book is ‘Dk 15 Minute French- Learn in Just 12 Weeks’ (it has taken me more than 12 weeks).
  3. TV, Film, going on hols
Notebook pages:


Firstly I use a postcard with French quote as a book mark- it says ‘all grown ups were once children’. I just use this is to mark the pages. I also use a perfume tester to mark a page. Just adds a bit of cuteness.

So I use the notebook alongside the textbook- so I write any grammar rules or vocab and also any quizzes from the text book I will do them in my notebook. I find it helps me absorb information. In terms of pages I just keep it really plain. I’ve never been someone who likes to decorate my revision- I’m not really creative in that way.

In my notebook I have a list of films and TV series I want to watch- this is really fun and if you are learning a language I would defo encourage you to like google and films or TV series in your chosen language.
I have since added more to this.

Then on one of the pages I have a list of things I want to refresh and/or learn

The thing about learning a language it is sort of a journey and unless you do like an intensive language course it is probably going to take a while. So you have to make the journey fun and not lose motivation. 

Okay I hope you enjoyed this weeks post.

Love,

Happy Hippo x


No comments:

Post a Comment