Blog Archive

Wednesday 30 August 2023

Sewing chit chat- what I did on Revenge Friday and Sewing Plans

Hello darlings, 

I hope you are doing really well and you had a fab bank hols. I thought I would just do a blogpost of sewing related chit chat. Just to let you know I am actually away for a few weeks so there will be no Revenge Friday blogposts.

Revenge Friday Haberdashery Crawl

My friend from school, has got into sewing in the last few years which I was so excited about because now I have a buddy to go fabric shopping with. We met up in Brixton and I gave her several sewing patterns I no longer wanted (she was really pleased with them) and we went to Simply Fabrics. My friend then convinced me to go to Goldhawk road for more fabric shopping- I had never been. This is so dorky but like I was overwhelmed and I couldn't think straight. I had a list of fabric I wanted to buy but I didn't get anything on it.

Anyway I did get one bit of fabric because I couldn't leave empty handed. I got this cute like postcard print cotton. I think it’s so sweet; they're dancing, they're surfing, they're vibing. It is nice quality too. I think it will become a camisole but if I have extra fabric I could make a matching bucket hat. 

The camisole pattern I have in mind is this free pattern by Tammy Handmade. It has a scalloped neckline which is a really nice detail.

I would love to head back to Goldhawk again and hopefully I will be less overwhelmed haha. They have maybe 8+ fabric shops and they all have a different sort of speciality. 

Sewing Plans

✄Smock style dress

My mum got me this Marnie pattern for my birthday and I am so excited to make it because this is so my style. I purchased this Toile de Jouy style fabric which I think goes really nicely with the style of dress. Dior has done a lot of toile de jouy garments in the last few years, so it’s sort of on trend. This will be my next project.

✄Novelty Cotton Fabric 👽🐎

I have these two really cool fabrics in my fabric stash which I need to think of a project for. I love the alien one, I think that is so fun. I got the horse one to make something for my sister because she loves like cowboy things but that was when she was like 12; I am not sure what I could make from this that she would actually wear. Yeah I am a little bit stuck with what to do with the horse one. The alien one I think will be a camisole.


✄ Light jacket

This pattern was on my list to find fabric for when I went out with my friend. I wanted to make this up in a nice fabric as a gift for my sister for her birthday. It needs like something drapey, a viscose or light crepe fabric. But I didn’t really see anything that I thought would suit her. My sister is more stylish than me, so I need to really think. 

Finished Tops

Finished with a little bow and label :)


I did actually finish something. I actually started these tops a year ago and then I just had like a million barriers to completing it. I originally only planned to make one but I realised if I omitted the straps then I could make two of them (then I wouldn’t be left with fabric I wouldn’t know what to do with).

I only had enough fabric for straps for one of them so the other one I had to buy bias binding for. I think they look great- I am so pleased. I think I will give the spare one to my sister even but I don’t think it’s her style. I think I will wear mine with like a cute bag, jeans and some ballet flats. 

Message me on Instagram regarding your sewing plans. Alright, chat in a few weeks!

Love,

Happy hippo

No comments:

Post a Comment