Blog Archive

Wednesday 14 February 2024

Revenge Friday- Valentines, Sewing and What I Have Been Watching

 Hello Darlings

Sorry this blogpost is coming late and I also skipped a week- I was feeling a bit under the weather. I am feeling a bit better now. 

What I have been watching and podcasts I have been listening to

Offstage: Inside the X Factor (BBC Sounds)- I have been listening to this podcast series which discusses the behind the scenes of the X Factor and how the show was produced. It is really interesting. I haven't listened to it all but some interesting details they included is how the contestants would have information leaked about them to the press and some details about how contestants would sort of be provoked by producers. It does make you think because I have watched the 'top 10 worst  performances on X Factor' comps on Youtube and some of them are clips from like 15 + years ago- like you forget that behind the clip is a person who is probably being like haunted by their X Factor performance that took place like years ago.

The Holdovers- I went to watch this with my dad at the cinema and it was really good. It is about a boy who is left behind at a boys school over Christmas in the care of the school's cook and a classics teacher. The characters are quite troubled such as the cook, Mary who is grieving for her son. It is really good I defo recommend it actually. It would be really nice to watch at Christmas.

Griselda- I finished watching this series which is about a female drug lord, Griselda Blanco. It basically about her trying to dominate the Miami cocaine scene in the 80s and it is biographical- she was a real person. It is 6 parts and really well done. I don't think it glorifies her so much because it conveys the senselessness and destructiveness, like what was it all for? I think it is defo worth a watch.

Sewing

I have been making this really cute dress which has been a really nice sew actually. It is not too tricky. I love this style of fabric (toile du juoy) but this one when you look closer it looks a bit too cartoony for my liking... it is the faces that need refining. I think it pairs really nicely with the style of dress. I can't wait to wear this once it is completed. The pattern is by Tilly and the Buttons and it is called the Marnie dress/top.

For Valentines Day I decided to make some pyjamas for my partner. I brought this really nice, I think it is an ex Liberty design of an ex William Morris design, fabric. This is really pretty; I think I smashed it with my choice of fabric. For the sewing pattern I picked up this McCall's sewing pattern which I think looks really classic with the patch pockets. Admittedly I don't think I will have this completed by Valentines Day but it is nothing in terms of technicality that I haven't done before so should be completed soonish.

Maybe every quarter I will do like a sewing related blogpost. So I will show you these projects when they are finished in a few weeks.

Revenge Friday

I didn't really do anything on Friday because I was covering for someone at work. In the morning I did a bit of voluntary administration work which has actually been quite interesting. I did get time to go for brunch with my mum. There are some really good brunch places on my highstreet which I am slowly working my way through. My favourite brunch order is a shakshuka or Eggs Royale with a chai or matcha latte- what do you like to order?

I will take next Friday off so, Revenge Friday will resume- I think I might be going to Oxford for the day. I hope you have had a lovely Valentines Day.

Love,

Happy hippo x

No comments:

Post a Comment