Blog Archive

Tuesday 8 August 2023

Revenge Friday- Celebrations, Pampering and Podcasts I have been Listening

 Hello darlings, 

This is sort of going to be a boring post. I hope you are well. I had my graduation on Friday and then the day after I went to our family friends civil partnership, so yeah it was really lovely.

Midweek Karma Shopping and Pampering

I had to get my outfits all sorted for the graduation and civil partnership. I got my dresses, one I got from a charity shop and the other was from a boutique on the highstreet.

Then I got some heels from M&S, I tried these on on a whim not really loving them at first and then I ended up really liking them. I love the ankle straps and the snout (the pointed toe)- they're so revenge. Then for the handbag I borrowed my mum's Mulberry. I wore a different dress but recycled the accessories because of the environment- the turtles and all that. My mum gifted me the bee bracelet as a gift to match the bee necklace I have. 

I got these really cute hairclips from a vintage market a few weeks ago. I was going to wear them for the Civil Partnership but ended up wearing an alice band and my sister wore these- they looked really cute. 

I went to the highstreet before the graduation to get my hair, brows and tootsies done. The last haircut I got was chaotic (it was a hack job, it was actually a bit of an ordeal), so I am glad its a bit more neat now. Brows are looking great. So yeah I was feeling pampered and beautified. 

Graduation

I did not expect to actually enjoy myself at the graduation because I lowkey thought it was naff. However, I actually thought it was really fun. It was actually quite inspiring too.

All the photos I am squinting in.

I got a graduation ticket for my sister too so we picked her up from the airport the day before because she was also coming to the Civil Partnership. Yeah it was a really lovely day. Although as of the date this is being posted I still have not got my marks back... 

The Civil Partnership the next day was so much fun. There were loads of people I hadn't seen since before Covid so it was lovely to see them again. I can't wait for the photos to come back. Ugh I love a weddings.

Podcasts I have been listening to 

The Retrievals (Serial Production Podcast)- This is a podcast is about an incident that took place in a fertility clinic where women who were having egg retrievals, which they were meant to be given quite a strong painkiller for, were in absolute agony. Basically the painkiller had been stolen and replaced with salt water. But it took like a few months for the clinic to work out what happened. It is actually such a dark story, like the fact someone could just steal painkillers knowing it would result in pain for someone else. I am on episode three but I am finding it quite interesting. 

Today in Focus (The Guardian Podcast)- I listened to a few episodes from this series. One of the episodes I did listen to was about shoplifting and discussing why it might be on the rise. I was recently in M&S with my sister and about three people shoplifted while I was there and the security guard was actually so resigned, he just couldn't even be bothered; I heard him say to a colleague 'the problem is by the time I get outside I have forgotten what they look like'... I don't think he should have been in that job lol. The podcast mentioned people are stealing like meat and then selling it to restaurants- my sis and I actually saw one of the shoplifters take like a backpack and arms full of like steaks or something. There was another podcast episode where it spoke about Whales capsizing yachts which was interesting too.

Unreal: A Critical History of Reality TV (BBC Podcast)- I listened to this podcast series months ago and found it really interesting but I am not sure if I ever mentioned it on here. This podcast looks at the like various forms of reality TV (e.g. talent shows, social experiments such as Big Brother, Make Over Shows, Scripted Reality) and sort of goes into how the shows started and the sort of dark stories behind it- like controversial moments from the shows. 

Girl Taken (BBC Podcast)- You may remember a few years ago now, there was a case of a man called Rob Lawrie, who had been volunteering at the Calais Jungle and had attempted to smuggle a little girl back to the UK. Rob had bonded with the girl and her father while volunteering but it transpired, after the smuggling attempt, that the story the father initially told Rob was sort of a lie. So it is a bit of a twist. So the podcast follows Rob and the journalist/podcast presenter as they try and track down the father and girl. Its sort of interesting because their investigation is sort of mirrored by Rob's own personal family issues. Rob is quite an interesting character. I read a review of Girl Taken in the Guardian and they described this podcast as a story about two men who think they know best, which is an interesting way of looking at it. It is a gripping podcast and defo like asks questions.

Revenge Quote

Revenge is a dish best served cold. 


lots of love, 

Happy Hippo x

No comments:

Post a Comment