Blog Archive

Tuesday 23 January 2024

Revenge Friday-What I have been watching, deinfluencing and day out in London

 Hello darlings x

I hope you have had a fabulous Revenge Friday. My day was really nice.

What I have been watching and listening to

Things fell apart presented by Jon Ronson (BBC Sounds)- I sort of adore Jon Ronson he seems very empathetic and he reports on some really intriguing things. There is a series two of Things Fell Apart which is a podcast where each episode of the podcast is a story from the culture wars but this series it is about the Coronavirus Pandemic. It is so worth listening to. 

Hunting the Rolex Rippers (BBC Iplayer)- This just popped on TV one night when my mum and I were just about to go to bed. However, we were so gripped by this show that we ended up staying up and watching it to the end. It is a short documentary about the rise of watch thefts that have happened. It is actually shocking and sort of frightening, luckily in the documentary the thieves say they only go for watches above 10k so it is safe to say I wont be targeted for my casio lol. But yeah it is so sinister because they speak about almost spying on their victims, like they will get women to sort of look for victims in like bars and clubs ect. The ending of the documentary is a bit, it ends on quite a weird note.

Milli Vanilli documentary (Paramount +)- I watched this with my mum last week and tbh we weren't really expecting much. If you don't know about milli vanilli they were like a pop duo who basically had a few hits but the thing was they had never actually sung on their albums and in concert, it was literally someone else. So they were basically living a lie. The documentary is a very sympathetic portrayal though, you defo feel sorry for them. It is quite interesting because in the documentary the surviving member of the duo said that they started to sort of believe their own lies, like they started to think it was really them singing. It is just such a crazy story.

Deinfluencing you

So I am not sure who originally coined this deinfluencing term, so I am not sure who to credit but it is a term I have seen floating about the internet. Deinfluencing is basically the opposite of influencing, so you are telling people not to do/buy things.  Usually like deinfluencing products or things with a lot of hype; so here is my list...

Candle Warmers- This is just honestly pointless. It is basically a lamp that you put over a candle instead of burning the actual candle wick. I think I had seen this in a gift guide around Christmas time and my first thoughts were like... please please no one buy this for me. I just don't get it.

A Square Croissant- I saw this recommended by like a London Instagram page (one of them pages that recommends places to eat and things to do ect in London) and it is basically a bakery that sells... square croissants but there is a lot of hype around it. It is just a bit gimmicky. Is it popular because it tastes nice or is it popular because it is a square croissant?

Ralph's Coffee Bar- I keep seeing this coffee place on Instagram. It is a cafe at the bottom of the Ralph Lauren store on Bond Street and I was thinking of going if ever I found myself in that neck of the woods. I just thought it looked cute and preppy. But back to the square croissant, people won't be honest on Instagram and say 'my square croissant was stale', it is about the aesthetic. It is the case of style over substance. 

Whispering Angel- I saw a lot of hype around this wine and so I did get a bottle at Christmas. It was either corked or this is just not a good bottle of wine.

I can defo see myself doing more deinfluencing lists so if you have any ideas drop me a line on Instagram or comment below. I didn't put Stanley Cups on this list because I sort of get the appeal although I don't get why you would collect them in multiple colours. I think the more intriguing aspect of the trend is that I have seen a few posts on Instagram where people are putting alcohol in the Stanley Cups which honestly if you are doing that you are an alcoholic.

Revenge Friday

I met up with my partner for lunch and we went to J Sheekey. I had like battered prawn and courgette to start and then risotto for main which was really good. I have been really enjoying trying out a few restaurants in London; I love places that are quite classic.

We then went shopping, and neither of us really purchased anything. My partner was looking for clothes but I think he prefers to shop on his own. I did sneakily buy a Valentines card from a stationer while my partner was stood outside vaping and I got my sister a Galentines card- I am very organised this year.

After browsing some shops we got a matcha late and we actually decided to see a film. We decided to see the Wonka film but neither of us had seen the trailer and I am not sure what I was expecting but that wasn't it lol. It wasn't quite our thing (it is very much a children's film) but tbh it was like enjoyable nonetheless.

These are the cards I got... the one for my sister is like lowkey creepy. Like it looked really cool in the shop because it has like the lenticular design but on the train home I actually felt a bit creeped out- I feel guilty sending it to her. The the one for my partner is just like a simple rose. 


Lots of love

Happy hippo x

No comments:

Post a Comment